Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) and Surface Electromyography (SEMG) in Dysphagia Management: The Guardian Way® (eLearning + Remote Live Lab)
This course is offered for .65 ASHA CEUs (Advanced level, Professional area)
As a result of this activity, the learner will be able to:
- Define and describe the properties of neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and explain the impact on muscle tissue
- Define surface electromyography (sEMG) and describe function in analyzing and recording the electrical energy of muscle movement
- Determine the candidacy criteria for the use of NMES and sEMG as adjunct treatments of dysphagia in combination with traditional treatment approaches
- Discuss and demonstrate the application of The Guardian Way® therapeutic protocol in the treatment of dysphagia
- Train clinicians to modify electrical stimulation parameters that is customized to the patient, their pathology and diagnosis.
- Discuss the use of sEMG as biofeedback to benefit patient outcomes
- Discuss Electromyography Triggered Stimulation (ETS), a functional treatment that is patient centered requiring the patient to meet a sEMG threshold and NMES will be delivered during the swallow if the threshold is met.
Learning Expectations: To achieve learning outcomes one must complete online self-study and then participate in a remote live lab with a course instructor.
How It Works
- Clinician purchases the Education Experience Online
- Spectramed will email the clinician a login to Learning Management System (requirements link)
- The clinician will self-study the Greatest Knowledge of Dysphagia Management Known to Humanity (6 Hour Completion Average)
- Spectramed presents the clinician the Learning Management Systems Documents and Schedule of Remote Live Lab with Course Instructor
- The clinician completes the requested forms and submits to CEUsubmit@spectramedonline.com
- The clinician chooses a remote live lab date and time
- Spectramed will email the clinician a video meeting invite
- The clinician will demonstrate competency of self-study information
- 24 Hours Clinical Support
The Guardian Way® is a clinical collection of education, support, and products for dysphagia management. Our protocols utilize neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and surface electromyography (sEMG) paired with swallowing to individualize treatment for patients across the lifespan.
Participants in our course will understand and learn how to apply the fundamental principles of NMES and sEMG for the treatment of dysphagia as independent modalities. We will also introduce electromyography triggered stimulation (ETS), which uses sEMG technology to time NMES. We will also demonstrate and discuss our iPad app. Our free iPad app adds the opportunity for additional options for sEMG data collection, biofeedback, and gamification.
Our course is offered via webinar format with both visual and audio components. If you would like to request accommodations, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-643-1917.
If it becomes necessary for Spectramed, LLC to cancel or reschedule a course, the participant will be contacted via email or phone and offered a full refund or a transfer to another course. When the participant opts to transfer to another course, the full amount of the cancelled class funds will be applied to the new course. If the new course fee is less than the cancelled course, a refund will be issued for the difference. If the new course fee is greater than the cancelled course, the participant will be expected to pay the remaining balance of the new course. When the participant opts for the full refund of the course cancelled or rescheduled by Spectramed, LLC, the participant must return equipment and any training materials in new, re-saleable condition prior to receiving the refund. Return postage will be pre-paid by Spectramed, LLC. Participants may cancel a course registration up until 14 days prior to the course date to receive a refund or transfer to another course. Cancellations received after the 14-day window are not eligible for a refund. Refunds will be issued after the participant has returned all training materials and equipment in new, re-saleable condition. Participant is responsible for return shipping costs.
Course Content Disclosure
Spectramed, LLC has developed and patented a licensed technology trademarked as NMES delivered through the Guardian Unity SwallowStim device cleared by the FDA for usage. Because there are no other like-kind products available, course offerings will only cover information that pertains to the effective and safe use of the above-named products. This course will focus on teaching the modality of NMES only
An annual ASHA CE Registry fee is required to register ASHA CEUs. Individuals must meet at least one of the following conditions to be eligible to earn ASHA CEUs.
- ASHA Member (includes Life member and International affiliates)
- ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) Holder
- Licensed by a state or provincial regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology (SLP) or audiology
- Credentialed by a state regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- Credentialed by a national regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- A Clinical Fellow supervised by someone who holds the ASHA CCC
- Currently enrolled in a masters or doctoral program in SLP or audiology
The participant pays ASHA CE Registry fee directly to the ASHA National Office. The annual ASHA CE Registry fee allows registration of an unlimited number of ASHA CEUs for the calendar year. Contact the ASHA CE staff at 800-498-2071 for CE Registry fee subscription information.
Relevant Financial Relationships:
- Lindsay Douglas previously received compensation as lending narrative to course content.
- David Hutchings receives compensation as a course instructor.
Relevant Nonfinancial Relationships:
- Member of ASHA (Lindsay Douglas and David Hutchings)
- Member of SIG 13, Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (Lindsay Douglas)
- Member of SIG 03, Voice and Voice Disorders (Lindsay Douglas)
This course is offered for .65 ASHA CEUs with combination of eLearning and remote live lab with video. All participants will be required to complete 5.5 hours of eLearning prior to completing 1 hour remote live lab. (Advanced level, Professional area)
Spectramed®, LLC has developed and patented licensed technology trademarked as the The Guardian Way®. Because there are no other like-kind protocols available, course offerings will only cover information that pertains to the effective and safe use of the above named intellectual properties.
Target Audience and Prerequisites
The target audience for this course includes speech-language pathologists with a foundational knowledge of dysphagia. There are no prerequisites for this course. Additional professionals are also welcome to attend, but CEUs are only available through ASHA at this time.
Satisfactory Completion Requirements
To receive credit for completion of the course, participants must pay course fee, attend the entire course offering, and complete ASHA participant form, post-test, and post course evaluation. No partial credit will be awarded.
Spectramed®, LLC wants to ensure that each participant has a great experience with our company and our course offerings. All concerns or complaints can be sent to email@example.com. Participants may also call 1-800-643-1917 to discuss concerns with our sales department.